Monday, September 14, 2009

Am I my brothers keeper?

In all my life I have been taught that team work is important to success, be it sports or work. We are taught this from the very beginning of our life and we teach it to our children as soon as they can, why is it then that we punish the individual and not the whole team when someone does wrong.
This shows the fault of the collective or team mentality, why in the long run it won’t work.
It is the individual who makes things happen, when each individual achieves or strives to achieve their best the team or collective is then rewarded, but because you can not force those who wish to put less effort into things to perform their best the team or collective concept cannot be forced to work. No individual has ever failed who put forth their best effort, regardless of the results, because of this philosophy we cannot be our brother’s keeper, because when we choose as an individual to let the actions of others take control of us, the choice to give our best for ourselves is pointless and watered down.
If and when I make the conscience choice to help I do it because I benefit in some way. Helping kids in the community helps me in that there is a better chance of lower crime rate. Yet giving my money or food to others out of charity doesn’t help me as an individual at all. People will say but how can you stand by and does nothing as others fail? I say easy, I am giving them the motivation to do something to succeed because as long as they can take from me they have no need to succeed on their own.
More will say, but what about the infirm or those who are of a mental defect that doesn’t allow them to succeed. This is the most difficult point for an individual with a heart, yet I think that if someone is infirm and tries to do their best then it will benefit me to help because we can both get something from each other.
Yet if they are infirm and sit home and say feed me, help me, or do for me, I say turn a blind eye!
The only ones who should be assisted are the mentally ill that can do nothing what so ever, to those I say you will have my assistance. Because you truly have no choice to help, this brother I will keep.
It is the individual not the team, it is the individual not my brother, it is the individual not my country that must be first to succeed. And when we realize it’s because of the individual, then my brother, team, country and all can be great.

RSS Digg Twitter StumbleUpon Delicious Technorati

0 comments:

Post a Comment